The official opening of our new offices on Main Street, Mountrath, takes place on Friday 4th April.
Built circa 1724. We have discovered no evidence of when the original building was erected, but local experts put the building at approximately 300 years old. The original structure was extended to the rear, adding two rooms both upstairs & down.
1926-1993. We are unsure of the history of the building prior to 1926 but thanks to Tom O’Grady Solicitors we were able to examine copies of the title deeds recording the sale of the property from that point on. In December 1926 Jane Elizabeth Hipwell sold the building to Patrick & Elizabeth Treacy. We understand Patrick Treacy was a professor in Ballyfin College for many years & Elizabeth ran a Drapery shop from the premises. Patrick passed away in 1962. Patrick & Elizabeth’s daughter, Caitlin became the legal owner of the building. Caitlin was a teacher & spent a long part of her career teaching in the Convent.
1993-2008. The Mountrath & District Credit Union has been serving the people of Mountrath & the surrounding district since 1968. In 1993 the Credit Union purchased this building from Caitlin and remained in this building for 15 years.
2008-2014. In 2008 the Credit Union moved to its current custom built location. The premises remained unoccupied until 2014, it is now home to HFS Accountants. We hope our restoration will enhance the town and that this building will continue to service its people for many years to come.